Blemhiem Apricot in May

Blemhiem Apricot in May

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Off with Bigfoot

I had planted a nicely shaped apple tree that I had gotten from Star Nursery when we first moved into our home. I got a dwarf red delicious, and this was one of the first trees in the yard. It was before my fruit tree awareness... 

I saw the other trees that were available and at the time and it was limited on the variety, and pretty much the word out was that Anna did well here, and there were Annas for sale, but they were rough looking and I said well if it doesn't do well it would be pretty as an ornamental. My have I changed!

It was a very pretty tree, but it never really did fruit, alternating between a dozen to 2 dozen apples, and I considered it a fluke and wanted to remove it and start over with a different variety, but my husband was always complained saying it WAS a lovely ornamental, and by that time, whenever I was talking gardening with anyone, we would get on the subject of fruit trees and I would have this tree that was in name only which is no way to have an orchard.

It was the same with the bonanza peach on the dwarfing rootstock, the fruit was not that great, and I had removed that tree the year before, except the apple tree was much bigger!

Okay, so my husband goes away on a bigfoot hunting trip, and while he was gone I removed the apple tree, and I decided that I would plant the 2 1/2 foot tall Pink Lady sapling that had been damaged by a light saber. He was a little dismayed, but I have to keep busy while he is gone.....

It was so freeing to chop that tree down, and then there is the saying that you are not to plant the same tree in the hole of one that was there before, but I decided to go ahead and plant the Pink Lady there and see how it turns out!

Now here is a picture of where it was before. It was in the corner so in this picture it is on the far left. The branches were terminating out below where it was damaged. My experience with the last apple tree was that these branches really had a tendency to lay down and spread out, and I did  not want the tree to be that large in spread, so by cutting all of the lower branches off, I was able to force sprouts higher up on the trunk.

 So here is the Pink Lady in it's new home a year after it was damaged. It has 4 terminating branches and the shape looks good so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment