Blemhiem Apricot in May

Blemhiem Apricot in May

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Loving the Comice Pear Tree

I had gone shopping for a pear tree, and I had done research to find out what would grow well here in the foothills of Las Vegas. I recall looking for a Century pear, and I don't recall the other names, but somehow I ended up with a pear tree that had a lot of pears on it from the nursery, and they were cute little pears in abundance and it was nice to see what it was capable of if it had pollinators nearby, which would be all of the other pear trees all lined up for sale.

Well, it is a fabulous self fertile pear tree and I am really happy I got it.

It has been in the garden 2 years now, and the amount of pears on it this 2nd year is phenomenal for it's size!

I got it from Star Nursery and I do not know anything else about it, as typically I am at that place now where I like to write down where I got it, the name of the nursery it was grown at and the rootstock, if any of that information is possible. 

When I got it, I layrt also got another pear tree and it is an Asian pear, and I was hopeful that they might be able to flower simultaneously in order to pollenate each other. The Asian pear is earlier, and therefore does not get pollenated, and it is not self fertile like the Comice. The Asian pear is the Shinseiki. 

Right now it sits with 2 pears on it, and Comice has 31. That is a remarkable difference!

So I will have to get another Asian pear tree if I would like to have Shinseiki pears. and I have no idea where it will go, as it is pretty full around here. 


 Here is the Shinseiki. I do enjoy the difference in the pear leaf in contrast to the typical leaves of trees in the desert. They are so rich and full.

 
I have this pear tree planted right in the middle of the yard and I was really hoping that it would cast shade in this central part of the garden. The other fruit trees were going to be kept in backyard small orchard size with these two pears allowed to grow big for shade trees, and that was the plan anyway. This year the birds have discovered the Comice pear, and although they are not ripe, there are marks from bird beaks trying to get moisture. That might change the design of these two being large shade trees, if the birds go after the fruit, then I will have to net them, and there is a limit to the size they can get, and still be able to get a net over them to keep the birds out. Seems like I will be putting a net on the Comice!

1 comment:

  1. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Apple Trees for Sale

    ReplyDelete