Blemhiem Apricot in May

Blemhiem Apricot in May

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Oranges on a Whim

I was driving along and spotted this orange tree and had to stop and take a picture.

Seeing oranges growing in the valley is rare. 

There was alway the concern about the need of citrus to be protected by being planted in certain areas of the yard, thereby creating a micro climate that would keep the tree from freezing. The orange tree is up against the house in a corner created by the garage. The morning sun hits the face of the house and warms that corner as the house is facing due east. (the garage is on the north of the lot.)

 I hope to have my camera with me next time I spot a fruit tree so that I don't have to use cell phone photos in the future.

 
There are obvious concerns about the care of the tree. The place looks neglected, and that  is only because they don't have the mentality of a gardener. 
 
I learned from attending master gardening instruction that the lower branches that come from the trunk that typically are removed for asthetics, increase the girth of the trunks from their photosynthesis of the leaves, and they offer protection from the sun.  I am mentioning this because the first thing that I would do would be to trim off the dead branches and clear away the lower trunk growth.  Since it is probably suffering from watering issues (gardener's assumption based on the state of the yard) the leaves probably helped it's overall condition. But it does make you consider the amount of water that they do need! Something to consider.
 
Look at how tall it is! Wouldn't you love to have one!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment